Offering hope, knowledge, and support for people living with cancer and their friends and families.
You are welcome here . . .
A cancer diagnosis can shake up your world. There isn't a standard emotional response – you might be experiencing disbelief, shock, fear, or anger, and you might not know where to turn for support.
The Beth C. Wright Cancer Resource Center in Ellsworth is one of only three freestanding cancer resource centers in Maine. It serves Hancock and Washington Counties where the incidence, prevalence, and mortality rates for cancer far exceed both the state and national averages. The Beth C. Wright Center is the place to turn for education and support in making sense of a cancer diagnosis and proceeding with your life.
The Beth C. Wright Cancer Resource Center provides a comfortable place for cancer patients, families, and friends to meet their educational and emotional needs. Our staff is almost entirely volunteer; professionals and caring community members donate their time to offer classes, meetings, and programs that are free to people with cancer, their families, and friends. We offer books, brochures, video and audio tapes as well as a computer with access to the internet.
Our center is a place of serenity and compassion for all. We serve both Hancock and Washington Counties. The Center is open from 9 am to 5 pm, Monday through Friday all year round.
To offer hope, knowledge, and support to cancer patients, their families, caregivers, and friends by providing a source of information, social services, and compassion through all stages of the cancer journey.
We provide excellent education and support services, often in collaboration with partner organizations, for all stages of the cancer journey throughout every community in Washington and Hancock counties;
- Newly diagnosed cancer patients, their families and caregivers learn about our Center from numerous informed sources;
- We keep our services current via ongoing assessment of community needs;
- We have a well-organized and dedicated cadre of volunteers who skillfully carry out the Center's mission and are accountable to and overseen by a Volunteer Coordinator;
- The Center maintains financial stability through the aggressive pursuit of endowments and grants and by development of a multi-faceted fundraising strategy;
- An energetic and visionary board of directors brings experience and dedication to advise, govern, and oversee the operation of the Center.